Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Casio SK5 wih messed powerplug  (Read 6669 times)

Somu

Casio SK5 wih messed powerplug
« on: April 03, 2016, 08:07:20 AM »

Hello, I'm completely new to circuit bending. I just found a Casio Sk5 but it have some problems on the circuit around power plug

is there anyway to bypass the damage? Thank you very much.

Andrea

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Casio SK5 wih messed powerplug
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 04:29:04 PM »

It looks like someone has made a complete mess of replacing the power socket. Does the actual socket look new i.e. are the internal contacts shiny and silver?

What i would do would be to take that power socket out and get a new one. It looks like you're actually missing two solder pads there, although i can't be 100% sure from the photo. Whatever pads are actually remaining need to be cleaned up with some solder wick.

You need to get hold of some thin but fairly stiff wire. Something like a fairly thick component leg, or some solid core hookup wire. Stick the new socket through the board, and cut a piece of wire so that you can solder one end through the hole on the socket pin, and the other end to the next solder pad into the circuit. By that i mean the first place the socket pin would be connected to, if it was still connected.
Do the same for all three socket pins. That way, even if the sockets solder pad is missing, you have a fairly decent connection to the circuitboard

Hopefully that made some kind of sense.

I can't really see properly from your photo, but when you have that socket out it might be an idea to check with a picture of another SK5 to make sure theres nothing shorted that shouldn't be.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Somu

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 05:25:33 PM »

Hello, thanks for you reply. The the pads are definitely out.

Taking the socket out has broken one of the pins, so I've to buy a new one.

Meantime, it make any sense what I designed? I used to compare the circuit with the service manual scheme below, I couldn't find any good photo of that part of circuit.

Thanks Andrea

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 05:52:55 PM »

Don't worry about the empty pads. They probably never had anything there. You often see them on machines like this.

The black line connections look right, but i would also connect the remaining solder pad at the top, to the solder joint to the right of it. Its difficult to tell if the pad is still connected across here due to the dirt on the board, but even if it is, a piece of solid core wire is going to give it a little more support and help to stop the remaining pad being pulled off the board.
Bear in mind that you've now only got one pad actually holding the socket to the board, so you need as much help to stop it moving around as you can give it. Using normal flexible wire may not last very long.

Somu

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 06:12:11 PM »

So for the last pad you mean something like this?

Somebody suggest me to use a panel mount type connector to avoid moving plugs.

Thank you very much

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 06:24:26 PM »

That should do it.

You could get a new panel mount power plug and wire it onto the board. Theres not any particular reason not to do so, other than it won't look as neat, and it'll be a pain in the ass working on the thing if you have to take the main board out and you've got a power socket wired to the back panel or flapping around loose.

Somu

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 11:32:02 PM »

Hi I tried to connect the circuit straight from dc supplier with some clamps,as in photo, but is not working. I suppose I need deeper tests to check everithing is fine.