Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Speak & Math  (Read 65836 times)

Pehr

• Loxodrom
Re: Speak & Math
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 10:28:06 AM »

Battery + ?

Griffin

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 11:01:02 AM »

That sounds totally plausible - its just that they've got a body contact attached directly to the (+) - that didn't seem right to me.

and how in hell do you tell the difference between a pot and a res? My elec book say a res is -VVV- while a pot is -VVV- with an arrow pointing from the bottom into the middle of the squiggle. The pitch adjustment looks like it has three pots on it.

Pehr

• Loxodrom
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 12:52:38 PM »

I guess that is a 100k main pot and two 50k trimpots. The trimpots adjusts how low/high the min/max "frequencies" are on the main pot.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 01:25:29 PM by Pehr »

hippyjon

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 02:40:36 PM »

ok ive come back to my speak and math after doing a few other projects and  i really really want to get rid of this hum.

one of you says it might be an earthing problem how is this solved? ive done a speak and spell and have a crappy dj mixer and sampler i want to mix between the two of them but the hum is making it impossible to use.

any ideas would be greatly received, forgive my ignorance i  know very little about electronics

haarp

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 12:38:35 PM »

hi,

the (+) is the + connector of battery, confirmed by a friend, maybe a mistake ...

so if i understand, the pitch base is connected from a resistor of the s'n's circuit to the center connector of the 100k pot,
two 50k trim pots are connected on each side of the 100k pot,
one of these trim pot is connected to an other bend point in the power supply area
and the other is connected to the + connector of battery
i hope i'm right and clear in explanations :P

but ...

what is the "disk" named "base" witch is connected in line to the same wire as the 100k pot ???
do you think it's a bodycontact ?

i would try this bend but i'm afraid of results by bending the battery so i hope you can give me precisions

haarp

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 07:34:44 PM »

i've just finished this pitch bend and it sounds damn good !

i made that on a s'n'spell not a math, the circuit is a bit different in the power supply area but it easy to find the point with comparison (i can add some pictures if necessary)

i haven't put the "mysterious disk" i asked for but it works at all !

the best is in trim pot, you can adjust the resistor at the maximum/minimum pitch until s'n'* craches
the ultimate pitch down is so freaky :) (i can add sounds too)

so ... you can try it and enjoy this bend ... hum thanks casper

i haven't test with some others bends at the same time, i'll let you know as soon as possible

haarp

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2007, 08:27:58 AM »

just for information,

the "mysterious disks" are body contacts, you can see it by compare the board scan from casper posted by Pehr and the picture of the finished piece
http://www.casperelectronics.com/images/finishedpieces/speak-n-spell/live-sm/livesm_diagram.jpg

so the pitch base is connected in line with the same as the other pitch adjustement
pitch down on the + connector of battery
up is connected to a point on the power supply area after a 6k resistor

haarp

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 01:29:04 PM »

hum ... does someone can explain what's the loop randomizer in the board scan above ?

is it a loop generator who can randomize too
or is it just a tool who used with a looper can randomize it ?

haarp

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2007, 03:54:02 PM »

oh damn ! ... i'm so noob

i killed this topic

RCline

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2007, 05:33:44 AM »

Here's my Speak and Math I just finished. My switches were too big so I had to mount them on a wooden box. I'm pretty happy with the result. Is nausea a common side effect of listening to glitches too long? I think my alphas and betas my have gotten blended in the process.

http://www.cline-company.com/blog/?p=31

Misanthrope

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2007, 01:33:10 AM »

hey guys, im diggin the casper mods that someone posted earlier on this topic, but the circuit board in my S&M is quite different from the casper one.  I've posted the circuit board thats in mine below, (altho actually copied it from R. Ghazala's book:-) I'm interested in whacking on a power drain mod, and maybe some kind of dtortion, but not really sure where to go, so if anyone can point out any mods on this board (apart from the standard Ghazala onwa), that wud be grand!!!

kick52

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 10:51:14 PM »

Schematics are UNCOOL.
I roll my own.

I think that is what makes circuit bending fun, finding stuff to work with then making all the mods. Schematics spoil it IMO.

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 01:43:48 AM »

Schematics are UNCOOL.
I roll my own.

I think that is what makes circuit bending fun, finding stuff to work with then making all the mods. Schematics spoil it IMO.

I'd like to politely disagree.

Of course finding a brand new bend is one of the most exciting things in the world.  Really, the happy surprise of connecting points A and B to make a previously unheard sound is fan-fucking-tastic, and the work that I'm most proud of has bends that I believe hadn't been found before.

However, there's no reason to reinvent the wheel.  If you're just starting out, and particularly if you're worried about breaking whatever piece of equipment that you're working on, schematics are an excellent tool.  While it is possible that someone will crack open a Speak & whatever and find a 100% new bend, it is highly unlikely.  These toys are pretty well-worn territory, and the bulk of what is likely to be found probably already has.  Particularly with giants like Pete Edwards (Casper Electronics) in the field.

Also, following the work of the best and brightest is an excellent way to learn.  I can't say that I understand all of the amazing stuff that Graham Meredith is doing with his Casio SK's, but I've been motivated to increase my understanding of how those devices function by trying to copy his unbelievable work.

Like I said, I understand your sentiment, and I certainly mean no disrespect to you personally, but I feel like you are making a punk-rock oversimplification.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2007, 05:48:16 AM »

I feel like you are making a punk-rock oversimplification.

Thats one of the best quotes i've ever seen,

i'll certainly be using that one in conversation in the future  ;D

'excuse me good sir, if i may intrude for a moment but i feel one is making a punk-rock oversimplification!' ;D
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

kick52

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2007, 07:56:57 AM »

Yeah, I do agree with some of the points you make there.

Anyway, talking about S&*, has anyone tried any data line cutting + push to break?
I tried that with one of my VTech things, and while it is completely different, it may be cool to try it on the speak and spell.

AWESOME IDEA: Disconnect lines which send speech niblets from synth! And also try disconnect the line which asks the synth if it is still speaking..

More info here about the circuit lines: http://members.tripod.com/werdav/speakell.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4