Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Yamaha DD5 modded but humzzzzzzzz from 1/4 out  (Read 8998 times)

blotto

Yamaha DD5 modded but humzzzzzzzz from 1/4 out
« on: May 30, 2008, 05:53:50 PM »

Hello fellow benders.  I guess I'll dive right in with my first post.  I was wondering if anyone has any advice on resolving a hum issue.  Not that kind....please read on.  I added a breakout box (all plastic...could this be part of the problem?) to my DD5 with a patchbay and 1M pot and 7 way rotary switch (non shorting with empty slots between each hot connection) for mixing the "blip tones" into the beats and the bends.  I am getting a pretty substatial hum when I plug into the 1/4 inch jack, especialy when I put my hand near the 1M pot.  My bending is still pretty gonzo style so I was hoping some of you all with some knowledge might be able to point me in the right direction.  I think I need to ground the pot and the 1/4" out.  Exactly the best way to do this is a mystery to me.   

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
Re: Yamaha DD5 modded but humzzzzzzzz from 1/4 out
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 11:16:42 PM »

There's a pretty extensive thread about 1/4 jacks going on here recently.  First check if you're making your output to all the specifications there, then try grounding all the bodies of your pots.  Using a metal panel is certainly the most pro-style way to go, but I usually just file off a patch on the bottom of all my pots and solder from there to ground.