Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Circuit Bent Competition  (Read 23868 times)

Psycho:Active

Re: Circuit Bent Competition
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 04:27:26 PM »

Or too specific.

As the focus seems to be on a musical track as the finished entry-ready product, I guess that would encourage people to bend keyboards, so perhaps there could be different categories.
Perhaps.. "Craziest sound" and/or "most innovative/interesting bend" , as well as a musical category?

SineHacker

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 10:38:08 PM »

i think we need someone to make decisions rather than suggestions, I suggest we suggest a decider to suggest decisions
yum, plastic sinewaves

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 01:54:52 AM »

i think we need someone to make decisions rather than suggestions, I suggest we suggest a decider to suggest decisions

Is that a suggestion or a decision?:)

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 02:28:51 AM »

I'm deciding we need more suggestions.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2009, 06:00:25 AM »

Perhaps...
Basic categories for judgement:

• Asthetic (casing, paintjobs, etc)
  • Technical (complexity and/or innovation of bends, producing good results)
  • Audiable (pleasing songs/composition or cover. Perhaps two sub-categories, one for a full track, and one for individual sounds [even within a track submission])

This leaves open the questions of:

• What is alllowed to be bent (including budget), and within what time period
  • Who judges the competition (public voting or judging panel)
  • What covers could be done (pff throwing it out there, Michael Jackson covers? Semi-topical, not bad tracks, and many well known pop tunes
  • What material prizes are to be given to the winner(s), except for a consensus of respect

And perhaps more questions, but that's all I can think of right now.

Gordonjcp

• http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009, 07:07:09 PM »

What covers could be done (pff throwing it out there, Michael Jackson covers? Semi-topical, not bad tracks, and many well known pop tunes

Stroke of genius, that.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

SineHacker

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 12:35:36 PM »

What covers could be done (pff throwing it out there, Michael Jackson covers? Semi-topical, not bad tracks, and many well known pop tunes

Stroke of genius, that.

hehe I went to a hack day in london a short while ago, more than 50% of the hacks were Michael Jackson related - it was funny when everybody presented their work and realised just how much they'd thought that one out
yum, plastic sinewaves

manufactured zero

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 01:55:38 AM »

Reading this made me think of the c64 demo scene. And i though about how cool a similar thing using bent gear could be. It's all being done i guess but i haven't seen it in a community kind of way like the old 64 scene. Maybe not the best idea for a competition given that not everyone can/wants to get involved with visuals too but it could get interesting with people clubbing together to make some good audio/visual work.....

Gleix

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 02:35:21 PM »

Circuit bent Michael Jackson covers would be wonderful  :D

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 12:16:47 PM »

Ok, circuitbent Micheal jackson covers it is.

I've got the Technicians of the Museum of Techno onboard to do some judging and put together one of their videos for it, for no other reason than it'll be a laugh.

Any ideas on prizes? It seems a bit pointless to have a circuitbent prize of most people entering will be circuitbenders anyway, although i don't really want to make this exclusively for people who actually circuitbend as it not actually a test of your circuitbending skill.

Which brings me onto the next question. What actually constitutes a 'circuitbent' cover version?
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Dylan

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2009, 02:47:45 PM »

Would sampling bent instruments and arranging them in something like FL Studio be a no no?
www.palmetronics.com
BitCoin accepted.

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2009, 03:36:47 PM »

Perhaps there could be a pure hardware category and another for a mix of sampling and software manipulation.

Bend as many instruments as you want maybe, (those who already have bent instruments available may be at an advantage here), and use them all in conjunction to produce a finshed piece, as one instrument may be damagingly limiting.

I'd assume a circuitbent cover version would consist of a titled expanse of sound submitted via the internet in recorded form (perhaps a video showing the recording event is favoured. I know I'd like to see what's going on).
Mastering the audio of the hardware section (in the case of there being different categories) is debatable, since microphones vary in recording ability and can impare sound, but the judges may take this into account.

guy.dallas

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2009, 11:28:48 AM »

The rules need to be posted soon, I'm aching to get started.

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2009, 03:46:33 PM »

Has anyone else been listening to Michael Jackson records thinking, "how the hell am I going to recreate this with circuit bent instruments??"
I think it might end up being more of a.. erm.... conceptual piece, based on some famous Michael Jackson chord progressions/riffs? :)

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2009, 02:31:28 AM »

I've been listening to old childhood classics on youtube now (maybe I should get out more, just maybe), but I've felt nostalgic, and in a Boards of Canada way I feel like I want to indulge in the musical experiences of my childhood, and perhaps do some kind of circuit bent child's program theme tune.

It'd be a lot easier working with a recording/sample than trying to recreate the original music, and I've done this before with the theme to Oakie Doke, however this was on FL Studio and used no hardware..

I feel I might be rambling a bit, but I'm just throwing another idea out there, and I know my circuit bending skills are dismal in comparison to most others on this forum, however I'm happy to be an enthusiastic runner-up.

What does everyone want to do..? Decisions?
Pages: 1 [2] 3