Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Roland R8 / THE S-CAT HILARITY THREAD!  (Read 79762 times)

gmeredith

• Closer to the meat
Re: Roland R8 (yes, not bendable...) Hijacked by S-CAT - sorry.
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2008, 12:31:54 AM »

I really still am  ::) about his copyright crap. His argument logic would NEVER hold up in a Civil court - I hope Roland busts him big and good if he continues claiming circuit designs and "modifications" as his own copyrighted idea ::)

Think about it. Thousands of benders across the world have connected part of a circuit in a drum machine with a wire from here to there to get a different sound. What's to say some kid with an R8 hasn't already discovered S-Cat's bends first? Is S-Cat going to sue him for "breach of copyright" What if an R8 goes faulty and causes itself to have the same bend internally, causing the same sound? Will he sue Roland?

Roland will not even allow you to copy a cosmetic aspect of their equipment - such as a colour scheme, logo, shape, let alone modify a patented circuit of theirs - I know because people on software design forums have made VST versions of Roland gear and have been given cease and desist letters from Roland - I've seen them. And modifying a circuit does not give you copyright privelidges.

In order to have a genuine copyright, S-cat would have to produce an independent "add-on" circuit that would not have anything in common with the Roland circuit or design or function - such as a module or expansion board - and sold as an independent add-on product - not a part of any of the Roland circuit - meaning that the add-on would function in its own right no matter what you attached it to - it must not need the R8 circuit design for the bend to work. An example would be a VCF external circuit - if you could find one not already copyrighted.

And it couldn't be a circuit consisting of a few wires and switches in certain places - you can't copyright wires and switches - they are subject to their own maufacturers copyrights or licences, if you want to argue the point.

You can't fool me SCAT I've been down this legal road myself before with the Alesis MMT8 and I tell you that Roland would butcher you if you tried to copyright your bend it unless you built a 3rd party add-on "module" that was independent from the R8 and absolutely completely different in design from any other design already copyrighted.

How so very "hubrous" (look it up  :D )

Cheers, Graham

sensor

• afraid of rotz
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2008, 08:29:47 AM »

and the r8?  ::)

Signal:Noise

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2008, 10:36:47 AM »

Pwned

I think S-cat completely missed teh point of this forum. major Lolzor.

ne7

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
    • ne7 web
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2008, 06:01:21 PM »

I like this forum as its a place for people to help each other with our little noise hobby :), rather than just holding onto information... terrible shame some people just cant be bothered to help others really - DOH! and DOH again...

ne7/triad
------------------
http://ne7.untergrund.net

voodoolikeudoo

• Way to much time on his hands
Re: Roland R8 / THE S-CAT HILARITY THREAD!
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2008, 06:28:40 PM »

scat (skat) pronunciation, noun.
Excrement, especially of an animal; dung.
Slang term for coprophilia, a sexual fetish involving feces

Mr S-CAT is going to enjoy building a website using that domain name  ;D

Rizomorph

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2008, 03:38:23 PM »

scat (skat) pronunciation, noun.
Excrement, especially of an animal; dung.
Slang term for coprophilia, a sexual fetish involving feces

Mr S-CAT is going to enjoy building a website using that domain name  ;D

Yeah i googled to see if he have a homepage yesterday and got the same resault ;D

Signal:Noise

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2008, 09:59:47 PM »

He'll get shit loads of hits though.

Sorry, that was too easy.

voodoolikeudoo

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2008, 12:04:43 AM »

Has anyone else seen s-cats other ebay account selling all the stuff he's broken trying to bend it. I won't put a link up as it will just get removed but there was a bass station claiming it had been 'damaged in the post', a 'non functioning' Roland R8 - surprise surprise, and a load of 'original used parts' from things like 707's, 101's & 606's!

What an impressive circuitbender he must be.

andy_wheels

« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2008, 08:35:52 AM »

I've never tried bending an R8 but did bend another non-bendable drum machine, the Yamaha dd-10 (I would love to share that one with you all but unfortunately didn't make any notes and then sold the thing to some american studio. D'oh!)

Anyway, back to my point. If you're trying to bend a machine which is prone to serious crashing it is often useful to use a pot between your two probes when investigating. It should give you a little more scope for fun and games.

Loving the S-cat comedy although it worries me that someone so unstable should be allowed to live in our society. If you're reading this S-kat, I hope you go and see your doctor and find help. Extreme grandiosity is often a strong sign of bi-polar I (manic depression as it used to be called..).

I'm impressed at crustypauls tolerance! I think I would have just banned him.

Oceanus - XD515

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2008, 10:17:38 PM »

:-)
It's nice to see the majority of us are of the same opinion.. It's just the 'Global world domination' attitude that I find a little disturbing....

iqoruvuc

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2008, 11:08:24 AM »

did i miss something?  ;)

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2008, 03:50:26 PM »

did i miss something?  ;)

You see what happens iqoruvuc? You don't sign in for a while and all hell breaks loose.  ;D

Don't let it happen again  ;)
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2008, 02:23:34 AM »

He must have been off with Andy Wheels.

kick52

« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2008, 06:51:26 AM »

He'll get shit loads of hits though.

Sorry, that was too easy.

LOL, great pun.

S-CAT

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2008, 04:22:16 AM »

It seems that I have caused some real shit here, firstly I mwould like to appologise to Paul...sorry.
I have recieved quite a few comments from various members and have managed to upset some and make others laugh. My information about copyright was supposed to give an idea of what is possible for todays new electronic experimentalists and if I could have stayed on the site to discuss the issue further then maybe things would have been different, but its shit in my face now(LOL) and that's fair enough.

There are a few things to cover here so I will start with the sale of the bass station, it really was damaged in the post and sold for just £30 I think. How gutted was I, as if I had circuit bent the unit then it would have sold for more. The spares that are for sale are not from circuit bent failures, they are leggitimate parts from old machines that I have picked up over the years. The TR-606 spares came from a seller who sold me a Computer that was supposed to be a Pentium 4 and turned out to be duff but when I collected the unit from him I mentioned Circuit bending and he said that he had an old drum machine that I might be interested in. He showed the machine to me which had been stamped on and the volume dial/pot had been pushed through the main board, but apart from that it was all there. I went on to sell the parts and made over £600 so that balanced the dodgy comuter for me.

I contacted Reed Gazala and were happy to recieve a reply praising our work ,wouldn't you? he gave great advice and I have followed it. The VL-1, MT-65, DD-series and Dub sirens are our main units now and work has become simpler.

The name S-CAT was created with the 2008 definition in mind and was funny for us to see that people felt that they thought we did not know of such Sports. Ater all we are adults here!

As for the R-8, It is still here and we have now bought an R-5 which we think will be as easy to do and hpe to complete the pair soon, the R-8 has so many coates of paint on it that has taken 6 months to dry.

Circuit bending in general is hit and miss and when we come up with a good connection on the board then we go for it, someone mentioned that we are just adding distorted bends and that they could achieve the same result with a distortion pedal and a selection of drum machines, but when using pedals you will get a tremendous amount of hiss, I used to use 10 distortion pedals in my live techno sets many years ago and even got a chear from the crowd once when the sequencer packed up and all 10 were hissing like a cat, but thats another story. The thing with the distortion bends is that you do not get the white noize just pure distortion.

The state of my mind is balanced at the moment and manic depression has been one of the driving factors in my life, I spent 10-15 years playing techno at squat parties on our 15K rig which some of you may know of...
BIOSYSTEMS, We built the rig in 1996 and have been responsible for some of the messiest parties out there and I definately recived a fair dose of brain damage in the process.

Good luck to anyone who builds machines and expresses theirselves, but you cant please everyone at the same time now can you?

Arron
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7